Electrical Fire Prevention Safety Tips for Boulder
SERVPRO® of Greater Boulder wants Ara residents to know that by taking precautions, electrical fires may be prevented when using electricity in the home. The National Fire Protection Association encourages the use of electricity with safety in mind and offers these tips to reduce the potential for electrical damage and injury:
- Have all electrical work done by a qualified electrician
- When buying or remodeling a home, have it inspected by a qualified private inspector or in accordance with local requirements
- Use only one heat-producing appliance outlet at a time
- Do not use extension cords to plug in major appliances such as refrigerators, washing machines, stoves, air conditioners, microwave ovens, etc.
- Install arc-fault circuit interrupters (AFCIs) as they will shut off electricity when a dangerous condition occurs
- Use ground-fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) to reduce the risk of shock. They shut off the electrical circuit when it becomes a shock hazard. Install them inside the home in bathrooms, kitchens, garages and basements
- Test AFCIs and GFCIs once a month according to the manufacturer’s recommendations
- Check electrical cords to make sure they are not running across doorways or under carpets.
- Use a light bulb with the right number of watts. There should be a sticker that indicates the right number of watts.
If you ever experience fire damage to your home or business SERVPRO® of Greater Boulder wants to help. Call us today at 303-494-2000. We’ll take care of your fire damage in Boulder “Like it never even happened.”
SERVPRO of Greater Boulder is independently owned and operated.