Know the Risks of Thunderstorms in Boulder County
We here at SERVPRO of Greater Boulder know that in most places, thunderstorms can happen at any time of the day and any time during the year.
While thunderstorms can be beautiful, they can also be dangerous. They can cause severe damage to your home and commercial property.
Thunderstorms can include lightning and can:
- Cause flash floods
- Cause tornadoes
- Create hail
- Reach winds over 50 MPH
- Cut down or trim trees that may fall on your home or office
- Install surge protectors, lightning rods, or a lightning protection system
- Sign up for your community’s warning system
- Know the risk for thunderstorms in Boulder and in Boulder county.
You don’t have to wait for the thunder. If there is a thunderstorm warning, go inside. Once there:
- Unplug appliances
- Do not use landline phones in office or home
- Pay attention to alerts and warnings
If you can’t get inside a building:
- If you are swimming or in a boat, get to land immediately
- Find shelter
- If you are in a car, don’t touch anything metal
- “Turn around. Don’t Drown. '' Avoid flooded roads. 6 inches of moving water can knock you down. One foot of moving water can sweep away your car.
A lightning strike during a thunderstorm can leave a wake of destruction in its path. This can range from minor electrical issues to fire damage. Lightning is also a major cause of injury or death from weather-related dangers. Most people survive being hit by lightning, but they often have long-term problems.