Tips for Standing Water in Boulder
Stay safe when flood waters are present.
Did you know that flood water can take up to eleven days to disappear in Boulder? A flood doesn’t end just because the storm ends. All of the standing water still has to be dealt with or it can lead to all kinds of water damage.
SERVPRO of Greater Boulder suggests that if you have to evacuate your office to not go back until you have been told it is safe.
Be careful driving in Boulder. Remember to “Go around. Don’t Drown!” The water may still be too deep for safe travel.
Floods are not natural swimming pools
- Sewage, debris, and other unpleasant things can be in the storm water leftovers
- Swimming, wading, or rafting can make you sick
- Don’t drink the water
- Water conducts electricity. Underground power lines can give you a dangerous shock
Flood waters and animals in Boulder:
- Snakes and other animals may get into your building. Wear work boots and heavy gloves when you clean up
- Some animals might find your office a cozy place to live
- If tap water is unsafe for you to drink, it is unsafe for your pets
Plan ahead for Evacuation in the Event of a Storm for You and Your Pets in Greater Boulder
Be prepared for a storm evacuation with these tips.
SERVPRO of Greater Boulder has these tips for people with disabilities in our community during an evacuation
During times of flooding, you may want to consider
- packing a bag to have ready in case the worst happens
- plan for backup transportation even if you have your own car because the storm or flood may damage your car
Ask your healthcare provider to suggest what specific devices you might need if you need to evacuate due to an emergency:
- Where can I get medical supplies?
- How do I get accessible transportation?
- If medical help is needed, where would I go?
- Does this facility have a disability ramp access (if needed)
Items to bring with you:
- Written list for emergency contacts
- List of all medications, dosages, and allergies
- Style & serial number of medical devices
- Supply of medical equipment
- Extra battery for a powered wheelchair
- Any cushions or padding
- Wheelchairs, canes, braces, etc.
- Medical bracelets with pertinent info for first responders/helpers
- Medical insurance cards
- List and/or supply of prescription medications
Our service animals are also affected by storm damage. For people who have service animals in Boulder or Boulder county, please consider:
- Packing extra food, water, & other supplies for your service animal
- Tell emergency responders that your service animal travels with you
- Shelters and other buildings may or may not refuse entry to a service animal
Let SERVPRO of Greater Boulder bring the Clean-Up Equipment
When the unimaginable happens, SERVPRO of Greater Boulder is Here to Help
It won’t happen to us
“I don’t need to think about that. It won’t happen to us” says one spouse to another. They flip the light switches and drift off to sleep. A spark happens near wood; a flame is created inside a wall; and, before you know it you are answering questions from an insurance adjuster. You don’t know who you want to use to start the clean-up ball rolling in Boulder, but you need it done.
It happened to us
It seems too often that those things in life we think won’t happen—happen. They happen and we’re left holding the bag. Don’t allow yourself to be another victim. Let us bring the bags… …the rags, the vacuums, the masks, and the paint…We can help!
Call us at 303-494-2000 if the unimaginable happens and we will be there to help. SERVPRO of Greater Boulder will send technicians who are experts in fire restoration. Soot and smoke damage are things we understand.
Possible Causes for Water Damage in Lyons
SERVPRO is ready when the unfortunate happens!
SERVPRO of Greater Boulder understands the different causes and categories of water damage in Lyons, CO
An old poem has the line, “water, water, everywhere”. When you need to say this in your home or office, you know there is trouble. You may very likely be looking at water damage. There are several different possible causes of water damage in Lyons including:
- Leaky dishwashers or washing machines
- Clogged pipes
- Leaking roofs
- Broken toilet pipes
- Heavy rain
- Snow or ice accumulation
The amount of water damage depends on the amount of water and on the cause of the damage.
SERVPRO of Greater Boulder knows it is imperative to start the cleanup process as soon as possible. The longer your home or business is waterlogged, the more damage you will see (and the more expensive it will be to repair after cleanup has been completed).
Categories of Water Damage in Lyons:
- Clean water. It might come from an overflowing sink or a broken appliance. The water does not pose a threat to people. However, keep in mind that any water will become contaminated after it stops flowing.
- Gray water. This water is contaminated from the get-go. It comes from broken toilets or sump pumps. It might not look dirty, or it might be brown.
- Black water. Like gray water, it might not look dirty. One major source of black water is broken sewage pipes. Another source is any water that has been standing still.
The Best Fire Control is Fire Prevention in Gunbarrel and Niwot
Learn about the best ways to prevent fire from destroying your home or office.
The U.S. Fire Administration reports that a small flame can turn into a major fire in just 30 seconds. Flames and smoke can fill the house in just a few minutes. SERVPRO of Greater Boulder will help you recover from fire damage. We hope you never need that kind of help.
The best fire control in Gunbarrel and Niwot, Colorado is fire prevention.
Fire Prevention Week this year is from Sunday, October 3rd to Saturday, October 9th.
SERVPRO of Greater Boulder offers these Tips for Fire Prevention:
- Items that can catch fire include: dish towels, oven mitts, paper, curtains, wooden spoons, decorations
- Heat sources include: light bulbs, fireplaces, stove tops, furnaces, candles, or electric heaters.
- Keep items that can catch fire at least 3 feet away from heat sources
- Keep kids at least 3 feet away from heat sources
- Turn off heat sources when you leave the home or go to bed
- Never use the oven as a heater
- Have the fireplace chimney inspected & cleaned once a year
SERVPRO of Greater Boulder suggests you keep one or more fire extinguishers available.
Remember fire is fast. If there is a fire, leave and bring everyone with you. Call 9-1-1 from outside the home.
Commercial Lighting Equipment Safety Information
Commercial Lighting Equipment Safely Information
SERVPRO® of Greater Boulder wants to share the following information about commercial fires and how safety equipment helps to lessen the damage and can assist in preventing any bodily injury. According to the NFPA (National Fire Protection Association), one of the most common causes of commercial fires is electrical and lighting equipment. This type of fire is not easily predicted, as the lighting equipment can look totally fine on the outside in your Boulder or Ara place of business.
Tips and Information:
- If there is a lot of smoke inside the building, cover your mouth and nose and do your best to not inhale any of it
- Building sprinklers should be examined and tested every 5 years
- There should always be a fire extinguisher in reach inside of a commercial building and they must be checked annually to ensure they are in working order
- If an office building is on fire, exit the building immediately and do not try to fight the fire yourself
- Wet pipe sprinklers installed in the ceilings of commercial buildings are very effective in helping to fight the fire(s)
In the unfortunate event that a commercial building in Ara does catch fire, rest assured that SERVPRO of Greater Boulder is prepared to help clean up any fire damage the building/area has sustained.
SERVPRO of Greater Boulder is independently owned and operated.
What To Do If You Have PTSD During Thunderstorms In Superior Colorado
Don't let a storm throw you into a panic attack. Be prepared.
Did you know that almost 7% of people in the U.S. have suffered from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
People who have PTSD may experience panic during thunderstorms. Thunderstorms and lightning can set off a person’s alarm bells.
SERVPRO of Greater Boulder offers these guides to coping with PTSD during storms:
The best strategy is to be prepared.
- Take care of your emotional health. See a therapist. Learn relaxation exercises. When you feel anxious, you can relax yourself
- Know when a thunderstorm is likely. Plan what you will do during a thunderstorm
- Take care of your physical health. Eat a healthy diet. Get enough sleep. Do not rely on alcohol or other drugs. Do not smoke or chew tobacco
During a Thunderstorm in Superior, Colorado
- Slow down your breathing
- Look around. Notice where you are. Notice that you are in a safe place
- Distract yourself from the storm. Wear headphones and listen to music. Sit in a pop-up tent
- Talk with someone you trust
All of this can be compounded if the storm generates damage to your home or office. Sometimes flooding occurs, while other times you may spring a leak. If this happens, give SERVPRO of Greater Boulder a call and we can make the water damage “Like it never even happened.”
NWS Awareness and Preparedness Calendar
Are you prepared for severe weather in Colorado?
It’s always good to be prepared when it comes to severe weather in Colorado!
Do you know what precautions to take when severe weather hits us here in Colorado? Did you know that The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s National Weather Service has an Awareness and Preparedness calendar per state? You can check out Colorado’s Awareness and Preparedness calendar here. These National Safety Campaigns (usually one-week long) are set aside to help us draw attention to being prepared for severe weather year round. See Colorado campaign dates below:
- Fire and Flood Awareness Week - March 7-13, 2021
- Severe Weather Awareness Week - April 11-17, 2021
- Lightning Safety Week - June, TBD
- Winter Weather Awareness Week - October 17-23, 2021
Along with severe weather can come various losses like water damage, fire damage, mold damage, etc. In the event that severe weather causes any damage to your property (whether commercial or residential), call SERVPRO of Greater Boulder for help! We’ll make every effort to make your damage look “Like it never even happened.”
Call our 24/7/365 Emergency number at (303)494-2000.
Colorado Weather Unpredictable
Are you prepared for Colorado's unpredictable weather?
Much to the chagrin of many Coloradoans, April showers don’t always bring May flowers. Springtime here in the Rockies means a whole lot of different possibilities when it comes to weather and therefore, we all have to be prepared for radical weather changes at any time.
According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), every year Americans are forced to cope with: 10,000 severe thunderstorms, 5,000 floods or flash floods, 1,000 tornadoes, and two land-falling deadly hurricanes. This severe weather can leave us with catastrophic results: around 500 deaths per year and nearly $15 billion in damage!
Don’t wait for a severe weather event to prepare. Click on the link above for recommendations on how to prepare, to form plans, build an emergency kit, and keep you, your family and your home safe!
What Does IICRC mean anyway for your commercial facility in Boulder?
SERVPRO of Greater Boulder is an IICRC firm. The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) creates the standards for the restoration industry and provides training and certification to restoration companies. IICRC Certified Firms have the right to display the IICRC Certified Logo.
IICRC Certified Firms must
- Present accurate information to consumers and conduct business with honesty and integrity.
- Require a technician on all jobs who has been formally trained and passed all required tests.
- Require a continuing education program to keep technicians up-to-date on the latest changes in the industry.
- Maintain liability insurance to protect all parties in the event of an accident.
- Maintain a written complaint policy and agree to Better Business Bureau or similar arbitration to resolve disputes, and accept the conclusions and recommendations of arbitration.
The IICRC Develops The Standards For The Restoration Industry
The IICRC has been the driving force in establishing the main industry standards and reference guides for professional carpet cleaning, water damage restoration and mold remediation. These IICRC standards take years to develop and require the coordination of experts in the field: manufacturers, industry organizations, insurance professionals, training schools, contractors, and public health professionals.
Every five years, the standards are reviewed and updated. The water damage restoration field changes rapidly with advancements in technology and science, and therefore the standards must evolve to keep pace.
About SERVPRO of Greater Boulder
SERVPRO of Greater Boulder specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration and we are an IICRC Certified Firm. We believe in continuous training: from initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
- AMRT - Applied Microbial Remediation Technician
- OSHA - 30-hour General and/or Construction Industry Training Program
- CCT - Carpet Cleaning Technician
- IICRC Certified Firm
- ASD - Applied Structural Drying Technician
- SRT - Fire & Smoke Damage Restoration Technician
- OSHA - 10-hour General and/or Construction Industry Training Program
- WRT - Water Damage Restoration Technician
- OCT - Odor Control Technician